I don't want to waste your time, but there are enough changes here
that a split patchset would improve reviewing.

>  if [ "$os" = "linux" ] ; then
> -     if [ ! -e "$moddir/modules.dep" ]; then
> -             echo "no $moddir/modules.dep. This file is required by
> kernel-wedge" >&2
> -             exit 1
> +     if [ -e "$moddir/modules.dep" ]; then
> +             modulesdep=$moddir/modules.dep
> +     else
> +             modulesdep=$tmpdir/modules.dep
> +             depmod ${SOURCEDIR:+-b $SOURCEDIR} -V $installedname -n
> >$modulesdep

Shouldn't depmod be passed a System.map here? My experience with d-i's
build system's use of depmod has taught me to always provide a
System.map to it when the running kernel may differ from the kernel
being prepared.

--
see shy jo