This problem has occurred again with linux-image-3.2.0-rc7-amd64
3.2~rc7-1~experimental.1. The display was no longer updated (in
particular the mouse pointer didn't move) for several seconds.
The CPU usage suddenly became high (it is normally close to 0).
There is more than 1 GB free memory. Nothing special in dmesg
output.

On 2011-11-05 23:50:53 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2011-11-05 17:19:01 -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > If nothing along those lines help, can you bisect (e.g.,
> > starting by trying 2.6.39 for a while)?
>
> OK, I'm going to try that (I have 2.6.39-1, 2.6.39-2 and 3.0.0-1 also
> installed).

I had done some tests, but they weren't conclusive, as the UI wasn't
frozen. I just noticed (with all kernels) that from time to time, the
disk gets very busy for several seconds, in which case a command that
does a disk access is blocked for a few seconds.

> When the problem occurs, the mouse can still move and I can switch
> the desktop with the window manager (fvwm). But applications like
> xterm and iceweasel are frozen (e.g. typing in xterm has no effect
> until the disk is no longer accessed).

Note that here even the mouse was frozen.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>