On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 18:42 -0800, peasth...@shaw.ca wrote:
> From: Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 05:43:54 +0100
> > Does the IEEE 1394 port work properly after this or not?
>
> It does not.  The offending 1394 appears to be on an
> Adaptec PCI card.  If the camera is connected there,
> Coriander always notifies that no camera is found.
>
> Luckily there is another 1394 socket on the front panel.
> With the camera connected there, Coriander immediately
> gives an image.  So, this complaint comes from one
> particular chip.
>
> > If not, can you test Linux 3.2 from testing, unstable
> > or squeeze-backports?
>
> I have a vow never to monkey with unstable again but
> the squeeze backport kernel might be tolerable.
>
> > The time limit for this has been increased in later versions of
> > the driver, and it may be that this would fix the problem.
>
> Rather than an adjustment to allow the timeout to pass,
> wouldn't a genuine repair of the driver be desirable?

I didn't say the timeout was ignored; I said the time limit was
increased.  If a driver sets a time limit for some hardware operation
which is shorter than the hardware may require to complete it
successfully, increasing the time limit may well be the correct fix.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.