> Can you also measure the speed at which the client can write, when the
> server is running each of the two kernel versions?  If the client can
> write twice as fast (for example) then it should be OK to use twice as
> high a percentage of CPU time on the server, as the total CPU time
> needed for a data transfer will be the same.

I tested the following combinations with 2 GB writes:

Server                                   Client
Debian testing kernel 2.6        Debian stable     ~60 seconds
Debian testing kernel 3.2        Debian stable     ~60 seconds

Debian testing kernel 2.6        Ubuntu 12.04.1  ~65 seconds
Debian testing kernel 3.2        Ubuntu 12.04.1  ~67 seconds

It seems the speed is comparable in all cases although the load differs. In
general my load number looked a bit smaller this time, maybe because the
host system was freshly booted. So I guess, I should collect some numbers
on an actual machine tomorrow. I also did not have a Debian testing client
yet.

Do you know if the patch mentioned above also affect the client?

--Karsten