On Wed, 2013-06-26 at 13:46 -0400, Alexandre Rebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We found a crash in nfsidmap contained in the nfs-common package. You are
> being
> contacted because your are listed as one of the maintainer of nfs-common.
>
> We are planning to submit the bug to the Debian bug tracking system in two
> weeks. We wanted to give you a heads-up, so that you some time to assess the
> seriousness of the bug before it is publicly disclosed.
[...]

It's a bit late for that, as you sent mail to a public mailing list.

nfsidmap is intended to be invoked by request-key, which itself is
invoked by the kernel using an upcall.  The arguments are generated
according to the configuration in /etc/request-key.d/id_resolver.conf
where the default is '/usr/sbin/nfsidmap -t 600 %k %d'.

%k expands to the key ID, an integer generated by the kernel's 'keys'
subsystem.

%d expands to a description of the key, a string generated by the
kernel's NFS client.  This is partly controlled by the remote server,
but the client always uses one of four prefixes: 'uid:', 'gid:', 'user:'
or 'group:'.

There does not seem to be any way to make the kernel invoke nfsidmap
with an invalid option as used in the test case, and I don't see any
reason for a user to invoke it directly with untrusted input.  So I
don't think there is any security issue here.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Knowledge is power.  France is bacon.