Package: src:linux
Version: 3.10.1-1
Severity: normal

Dear Maintainer,

I have a system with some md raid devices using raid10. When I want to change
the partitioning of a harddisk, I set all partitions to fail in the raid and
removed then.
After the new partitioning was done, I readd the devices and the raid syncs
again. After successful syncing (nearly one day) everything looks file and the
raid reports no errors.

On the next day, four of raid filesystems are defect and cannot be repaired.
The error was something like "illegal entry in ext bitmaps" I search for this
error and all says: restore your data ond one says: rewrite alle superblocks
with mkfs.ext4 -S and then use fsck, which seems to work, but nearly all data
are corrupted and contains spots or areas of zero.

But when I restore the data from backup (after creating a new ext4 filesystem
like before) everything looks fine again - until the next start on the next
day. All restored partitions have the same defect as before.
I memory check (memtest) do not found any problem, the other filesystems are
still ok.

On the next try to restore my data, I see that the kernel is still writing data
after reading from my backup medium are finished. Ok, it is flushing the
buffers. After a successful call of sync I see that is still continuing writing
data. Not like the normal rate at 80-400 MB/s, only at 5-10 MB/s. Another sync
returns at once. So for a "full memory cache" of about 10GBytes, it need around
30min to write down all and then the disk writing stops.

If I don't wait, this data is  *not written*, if I shut down the computer
regulary. It looks like that these data are not covered by a sync.

When I returned to linux-image-3.9-1-amd64 (which I actually use), I don't see
this behavior and all my data I restored are still healthy. Here after a sync
all data are written  and I have no problems after restoring data or powering
down.

Tom

-- Package-specific info:
** Kernel log: boot messages should be attached

-- System Information:
Debian Release: jessie/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 3.9-1-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages linux-image-3.10-1-amd64 depends on:
ii  debconf [debconf-2.0]                   1.5.50
ii  initramfs-tools [linux-initramfs-tool]  0.113
ii  kmod                                    9-3
ii  linux-base                              3.5
ii  module-init-tools                       9-3

Versions of packages linux-image-3.10-1-amd64 recommends:
ii  firmware-linux-free  3.2

Versions of packages linux-image-3.10-1-amd64 suggests:
pn  debian-kernel-handbook  <none>
ii  extlinux                3:4.05+dfsg-6+deb7u3
ii  grub-pc                 2.00-15
pn  linux-doc-3.10          <none>

Versions of packages linux-image-3.10-1-amd64 is related to:
pn  firmware-atheros        <none>
pn  firmware-bnx2           <none>
pn  firmware-bnx2x          <none>
pn  firmware-brcm80211      <none>
pn  firmware-intelwimax     <none>
pn  firmware-ipw2x00        <none>
pn  firmware-ivtv           <none>
ii  firmware-iwlwifi        0.39
pn  firmware-libertas       <none>
pn  firmware-linux          <none>
ii  firmware-linux-nonfree  0.39
pn  firmware-myricom        <none>
pn  firmware-netxen         <none>
pn  firmware-qlogic         <none>
ii  firmware-ralink         0.39
ii  firmware-realtek        0.39
pn  xen-hypervisor          <none>

-- debconf information:
  linux-image-3.10-1-amd64/postinst/depmod-error-initrd-3.10-1-amd64: false
  linux-image-3.10-1-amd64/postinst/ignoring-ramdisk:
  linux-image-3.10-1-amd64/postinst/missing-firmware-3.10-1-amd64:
  linux-image-3.10-1-amd64/prerm/removing-running-kernel-3.10-1-amd64: true