On Sun, 2013-12-29 at 13:39 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
[...]
> Now that GRUB was working fine, I ran into problems with the kernel
> which apparently simply froze when trying to boot. I tried various
> Linux distributions and kernels without success.

Possibly it will boot but only very slowly.  I have occasionally seen
upstream scalability fixes for problems like this.

[...]
> "/sgiroot  splash=silent showopts stop_machine.lazy=1 add_efi_memmap
> nortsched processor.max_cstate=1 nobau log_buf_len=8M kdb=on
> cgroup_disable=memory earlyprintk=ttyS0,115200n8 pcie_aspm=on nohz=off
> crashkernel=512M intel_iommu=off init=/sbin/bootcpuset

This is an interesting init command.  Does it set CPU affinity and then
invoke the 'real' init?

> console=ttyS0,115200n8 "
>
> Most of these are explained here [4] and are obviously part of
> the vanilla Linux kernel. However, the parameter "stop_machine.lazy"
> appears to be exclusive to SuSE kernels [5].
>
> Now, I am wondering whether the SuSE patch is actually what gets
> the kernel booting on the UV1000 with NUMAlink enabled, I haven't
> built a kernel with the patch added yet, however. I will do that
> once I get back to work in the new year.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has some more suggestions what I could
> look into and what might cause the kernel to freeze immediately
> after GRUB with NUMAlink enabled. It freezes right after decompressing
> the kernel.
>
> Any idea?
[...]

I know that stop_machine used to be very slow indeed on large systems,
and was used in too many places, and both of these problems have been
addressed over the last few years.  Have you tested with a more recent
kernel version from unstable?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Klipstein's 4th Law of Prototyping and Production: