On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 at 12:35:25 +0200, gru...@laposte.net wrote:
> Among GNOME settings, I have three choices available:
> Français
> Français Azerty
> Français Azerty (AFNOR)

There should be a lot more than that. I don't speak French, but in an
English-language GNOME installation on Debian 12, if I click on "Other"
and search for French, choices available to me include:

* French (alt.)
* French (alt., Latin-9 only)
* French (alt., no dead keys)
* French (legacy, alt.)
* French (legacy, alt., no dead keys)
* French (no dead keys)

... and many more. Many of these are AZERTY layouts even though their
names don't specifically say so.

Based on the information in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/fr, it seems that
"French (legacy, alt.)" should be an AZERTY layout where AltGr+[7] is a
"dead_grave" dead key.

If I'm reading the translation files correctly, the French translation
of "French (legacy, alt.)" might be "Français (obsolète, variante)".

I am not a French speaker and I am not familiar with the history
of French keyboard layouts, so I cannot say whether you are right
or wrong to expect that AltGr+[7] should be a dead key. Perhaps
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-user-french/> would be able to clarify
whether there is a bug in xkb-data or not.

Based on the information available in this bug report, I'm confident that
GLib is now doing the right thing, so this is not a GLib bug.

> Français
> Français Azerty
> don't fire dead keys on the first row of keys
> but
> Français Azerty (AFNOR)
> does. Strange...

If you think this is a regression when compared with older versions of
Debian, then the xkb-data maintainers will need to know the answer to
this question:

What was the most recent date when your keyboard had the behaviour
that you expected, and what version of Debian were you running at
that time?

Thanks,
    smcv

Répondre à