Thanks Stefan for your reply.

To answer my own question, here is what I discovered about suspend /
hibernation evolvement in Linux laptop world.

- the traditional tools are uswsusp + hibernate (s2ram/s2disk & hibernate-
ram/hibernate-disk)

- pm-utils is the new suspend and powerstate setting framework. It is
designed to replace such scripts as those provided by the powersave
package. [1]

- The latest development is, however, DeviceKit. Both Ubuntu & Fedora are
moving towards DeviceKit. [2], [3]

1. http://www.archlinux.it/wiki/index.php?title=Pm-utils
2. http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha6
3. http://ostatic.com/blog/a-peek-at-devicekit-in-fedora-11-and-beyond

So far, Debian seems to be lagging behind such evolvement -- I don't see
devicekit in Debian repo yet.

cheers

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)