On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:07:07AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Brian Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [...] I can only find it currently in 2 packages in
> > Debian--prozilla and elinks.  The others that used it in the past
> > (libcurl, wget?) likely rewrote the code since it was obsolete anyway.
> > Why not just take the code from one of those if it's really a concern?
>
> That seems like a good suggestion. Can you tell which parts
> replaced it?

>From src/Changelog:

2000-11-18  Jan Prikryl  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * ftpparse.c, ftpparse.h: New files.

        * ftp-ls.c (ftp_parse_ls): Use ftp_parse_unix_ls for UNIX servers
        only. Use ftp_parse_nonunix_ls otherwise.
        (ftp_parse_nonunix_ls): Stub to the ftpparse library handling all
        exotic FTP servers.

        * ftp.h (stype): New enum, distinguishes UNIX, VMS, and "other"
        FTP servers.

And then later:

2001-02-13  Jan Prikryl  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * ftp-ls.c (ftp_parse_ls): Added support of ST_MACOS (Unix-like
        listing without correct permissons).

        * ftp.h (stype): Added ST_MACOS to identify the NetPresenz MacOS
        FTP server.

        * ftp.c (ftp_retrieve_list): New mirroring logic: A remote file
        shall be donwloaded only when it's newer than the local copy or
        when it has the same timeestamp but its size is different. ST_VMS
        and ST_MACOS as special cases that lie about file size.

        * ftp-ls.c (ftp_parse_ls): Support for ST_MACOS.

        * Makefile.in: Removed dependency on ftpparse library due to unclear
        copyright issues and absence of any feedback to our queries.

        * ftp-ls.c: Removed dependency on ftpparse library due to unclear
        copyright issues and absence of any feedback to our queries.
        (ftp_parse_ls): Added a warning message when remote server system
        does not seem to be suported by wget.
        (ftp_parse_vms_ls): New function for parsing VMS ftp
        server listing output.

So, ftp_parse_ls() is the functional equivalent of ftpparse(), though
it's not a drop-in replacement.  The design is a little different--for
example, ftp_parse_ls() requires a server type as found from the SYST
command, whereas ftpparse() seems to just guess the output on the fly.
Still, it should be a relatively trivial switch.

I suggest explaning to upstream that they have no clear right to use
ftpparse in their code, and several other projects that once relied on
it have purged it from their code as a result.  Then point them to the
wget code for a functional replacement.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.