On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 02:59:02PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> epsUtils
> --------
>
> The GPL apply wit the following ammendment.

In what way does the GPL apply? The author apparently wants to avoid
section 2 (which requires you to distribute the program as whole
under the GPL), and then tacks on an attribution clause and what is
basically a patch clause. He should throw out the GPL here all
together, and pick or write a license that better fits what he
intends.

> Due to DNA I don´t have the right to publish the control
> sequences used by this package. You don´t have the right
> to make reverse enginnering in order to retrieve the control
> sequences send to the printer through the library rwLib.a

Unless I've signed a license to that effect, in most places,
I believe I do have the right to reverse engineer those
control sequences.

> You may use the rwLib.a library for own programs and
> distribute them, but in all case you have to distribute also
> the original package epsUtils without change in the code and
> file content and tell explicitelly that you use this component.
> The following must appear:

> This program use rwLib.a
> Author:    Jean-Jacques Sarton
> Home Site: http://home.t-online.de/home/jj.sarton/index.html
> Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An ugly patch clause and an attribution clause. Does the author
understand what the GPL is, or did he just pick it because everyone
else uses it?

--
David Starner - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and