On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 03:35:34PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> Please explain where that right comes from by citing unconditional
> parts of the GPL.

Section 9 contains two options, neither allows you to drop that right.

> As I said in the rest of my post (which you
> omitted):
>
> > > Section 9 only describes what happens when the original copyright
> > > holder(s) indicate "<x> or any greater version" or if they do not
> > > mention any version.
>
> Section 9 simply does not give the right to choose any version of the
> GPL other than what is specified by the copyright holder.

[Which means what, in the context of gcc?]

You seem to be claiming that the GPL implicitly allows the constraint
"no future versions of the GPL may be used" as if that constraint were
written into the license (see section 8 for an explicit example of this
kind of language).

Unlike some other people, you're not claiming that anyone other than the
copyright holder can impose such a constraint (which means I don't have
to bring in section 6).

However, you do seem to be ignoring section 4.  Or can you show me how
"except as expressly provided under this License" allows for implied
terms which are not written into the license?

--
Raul