On Dec 13, 2009, at 2:24 AM, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> In message <f4ccec28-fe42-4af3-b0c0-c832a6b0d...@dalkescientific.com>, Andrew
> Dalke <da...@dalkescientific.com> writes
>> Well, the GPL does allow relicensing to newer versions of the GPL...
>
> IT DOESN'T, ACTUALLY !!!
>
> Read what the GPL says, CAREFULLY.

Here is relevant commentary in Rosen's book "Open Source Licensing" book at

http://rosenlaw.com/Rosen%5FCh06.pdf

> This GPL section 4, with its negative wording, is also the only place that
> references the right to sublicense. One might assume from the way GPL section
> 4 is worded that the right to sublicense was intended in sections 1 (right to
> copy), 2 (right to modify) and 3 (right to distribute) as well. However,
> section 6 implies that there are no sublicenses but instead a direct license
> from each up-stream contributor:

> As to sublicensing, then, the GPL is ambiguous. I refer you to the discussion
> in Chapter 5 of sublicensing in the MIT license. Sublicensing rights can be
> very important to open source distributors for dealing properly with the
> chain of title to contributions. In practice, most software projects ignore
> the issue completely and assume that, for GPL software, only the most recent
> license in the chain of title matters. They assume that GPL licensed software
> is sublicenseable, but the GPL isn’t clear about that.

I will try to use the word "sublicense" in the future as that seems more
precise.

As you can tell, a professional lawyer in this field is not clear about if the
GPLv2 allows sublicensing, so I hope it's understandable how someone could view
a change from GPLv2 to GPLv3 without keeping the chain of titles (which is the
common practice) could be considered a relicense.

Best regards,

                                Andrew
                                da...@dalkescientific.com