On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 20:20:21 +0200 Carles Fernandez wrote:

> Dear all,

Hello Carles,

> recently, I uploaded a package for gnss-sdr
> (http://mentors.debian.net/package/gnss-sdr
> <http://mentors.debian.net/package/gnss-sdr>).

Thanks for contributing to Debian!

> The package was rejected due to a conflict between GPL v3 and the OpenSSL
> license. From what I've got to know, the upstream license must include an
> exception to the GPL allowing linkage against OpenSSL.
>
> I’m also an upstream developer of such software, so I want to implement the
> required changes for package acceptance. These are the devised steps:
[...]
> We would like to ask if we are on the right path, and if there are any other
> requirements regarding this issue that we need to address from the upstream
> side.

The steps seem fine to me, but I am afraid they are not enough.
Any other library linked with gnss-sdr has to be compatible with
OpenSSL.
Hence, if gnss-sdr links with other GPL-licensed libraries lacking the
OpenSSL exception, you will have to persuade their copyright holders to
also add the OpenSSL exception.

If I understand correctly, there are at least libuhd and libgnuradio,
which are linked with gnss-sdr, are GPL-licensed without any OpenSSL
exception. I guess the FSF is unlikely to be persuaded to add an OpenSSL
linking exception...

An alternative approach may be: drop OpenSSL entirely, and link with
some GPL-compatible TLS/SSL implementation instead (such as libgnutls or
libnss or anything else fit for the purpose).

A third alternative strategy is: be patient, and wait for OpenSSL to
switch to a saner license. It seems that some progress on this front has
been (unexpectedly) made on August the 1st, 2015:
https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2015/08/01/cla/
The announced plan is to switch to the Apache License version 2.0,
which is GPLv3-compatible (although still GPLv2-incompatible...).
I am not aware of any more recent news on this, though.
BTW, I am not happy about the CLA part and I would be much happier, if
they decided to switch to a simpler and more all-compatible license
(such as the 3-clause BSD license, or the Expat license, or the zlib
license), but that's another story...

I hope this helps a little bit.
Please take into account that what I wrote is my own personal take on
the matter: I do *not* speak on behalf of the Debian Project.
And it's *not* legal advice (I am *not* a lawyer).

Bye.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!