On Jun 1, 2011, at 00:31, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I finally pulled myself together and spent a little more time on the
> vendor-profile branch.  On top of the basic profile support I added last
> time (back in April) we now have non-overridable tags.
>  However, there are a number of things I would like some comments on,
> which I hope you will take some time to look at.
>
> First off - currently the base Debian profile and the ftp-master profile
> have to be generated via "debian/rules profiles".  When the main profile
> is generated, the generator records all the checks in "checks/" and
> enables (only) those in the profile.  This has the advantage that if
> someone dumps their own checks in the checks dir, Lintian will now
> ignore it in the Debian profile[1].

This sounds like a nice feature.

>  The problem is how to handle this profile generation; for now I have
> not included the generated profile in git.

I'm not sure what you mean here - do you mean how to create profiles as in a
type of configuration?

> As far as I can tell the
> best solution we have so far is to do just that and remember to update
> it when adding a new check (similar to t/COVERAGE or our data files).

I'm not familiar enough with the mechanism to comment effectively. I'd be happy
to be a vendor profile guinea pig however and test vendor profile generation if
that would be useful.

> On a related note: we can avoid rebuilding the ftp-master profile if we
> change the specification of profiles to allow referencing files
> containing tags.  I think this might be a cleaner solution (open the
> ftp-master profile if you do not understand what I mean).
>
> Secondly there is the handling of the "default" profile.  Originally I
> planned for this to be a symlink because it was easier (code-wise), but
> does git handle symlinks sanely?  If not, we lose the "git clone + set
> LINTIAN_ROOT + run" property we have now in master (even with the
> changes above).
>  Would it be better for us to instead rely on dpkg-vendor to supply a
> default profile name (either in general or in the absence of the default
> symlink)?

I think relying on dpkg-vendor would be the logical thing to do, but this is
from a fairly naive perspective.

> Third, do we install profiles in /usr/share/lintian by the default or in
> /etc/lintian/profiles/ ?  As I see it, there is a problem with both
> ways.  The first one does not work too well with --root / $LINTIAN_ROOT
> changes; on the other hand if we install in /etc, it would overrule our
> development profiles by default.  So I am leaning towards keeping them
> in $LINTIAN_ROOT, but I figured I would mention it.

Wouldn't the expectation that /etc/lintian/profile/foo override
/etc/lintian/profile/debian? So wouldn't /etc/lintian/profiles be the right
place? This seems consistent with Linux Standards Base practice.

Regards,

Jeremiah