Hi (I'm not on list, so please CC: to me),

 I'm thinking about one of "technical debt" in Debian package,
 a.k.a. debian/patches :)

 Less patches make package update work easier (you know that), so we
 should encourage package maintainers to reduce it as possible as they can.

 (If the patch is not upstreamed yet, it is the shame since we say
 "We will give back to the free software community" in our Social Contract :)

■ How to find and encourage to reduce it with less effort?

 We already have "patch-not-forwarded-upstream" check in lintian(*).

 It provides "Visibility: info" now, so we can rise its "Visibility" to
 "warning" and "error" in the end as "ratcheting" method during
 Debian13 "trixie" release cycle.

 I want to hear about above idea from lintian maintainers first.

 And, I've noticed that lintian does not have enough DEP3 check yet,
 so I'd create MR at salsa (now it's draft status). I'm not good at
 Perl, so please review it when it's ready to merge.

 Thank you.

 *) https://lintian.debian.org/tags/patch-not-forwarded-upstream

--
Hideki Yamane <henr...@iijmio-mail.jp>