On 03/09/2024 18:31, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
On 2024-09-02 10:45, Nicolas Peugnet wrote:
Hi,

On 02/09/2024 03:57, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
Thanks for the work you did trying to fix this issue.

Apparently I'm a Lintian maintainer now. I had a quick look at Lintian and lintian.debian.org is referenced in multiple places.

It seems like actually fixing lintian.debian.org will be faster and more productive than going wack-a-mole and trying to retcon it ever existing.

IF I were to do the job of getting DSA to spin a VM and point lintian.debian.org to it, I'd have to be confident you'll be maintaining the code you wrote in the future.

Please be honest :) I don't mind it at all if you tell me: "yeah, that was only a proof of concep", or "I'm motivated now, but I don't know if I'll still be in 3 years".

I definitely built it with maintenance in mind. I am willing to maintain this code for as long as possible, but I cannot guarantee that I will be able to do it forever! I will be responsive if contacted by email or if an issue is created on the GitHub repository

I also took the time to setup a CI with most of the code properly tested. This should allow to minimize future breakages when modifying the code.

Great news! As proposed by Otto, one thing we could do would be to move the codebase to https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian-ssg

If you're OK with this, I'll create an empty project and give you permissions on it.

I'm Ok with this, my username on salsa is @n-peugnet.

If you aren't interested in maintaining that codebase for the next few years, I'll just steal some of your templates and rewrite everything in Python :P

One problem I forsee is that if that machine is hosted by DSA, we won't be able to call lintian directly, as everything will need to be installed from Debian packages and that machine will be running Debian Stable.

A way to fix this issue would be to point the static generator to a .json file instead.

Yes this would only imply very minor changes to the program. The question now would be where should be this file located and how/when/by whom would it be updated?

Another option I imagined would be to generate the website on another machine/VM that would run on testing/unstable and then rsync it to the production machine (which is what I am currently doing).

Anyways, don't hesitate to contact me if you have other specific needs to simplify the deployment of this website.

Thank you for your interest and time.

I have a few other ideas, but I'll wait to see what issue tracker you want to keep :)

I am also OK with using the issue tracker of salsa.

FYI, I opened an RT ticket asking DSA for a VM to host all of this.

Thank you very much for this!
--
Nicolas Peugnet