On Fri, Sep 27, 2024 at 11:55:16AM -0400, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> On 2024-09-25 15:20, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Package: lintian
> > Version: 2.118.2
> > Severity: normal
> >
> > With the node-async 3.2.6+dfsg-* upload, libjs-async has disappeared
> > from unstable, and once it migrates to testing, it will be gone from
> > testing too.  Please can this lintian warning be updated to refer to
> > node-async instead of libjs-async (and node-async itself should
> > presumably have an override in lintian for this warning).
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> >     Julian
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for opening this bug. I'm not sure recommending people use node-async
> is the right thing to do?
>
> libjs-async provided /usr/share/javascript/async/async.js and
> /usr/share/javascript/async/async.min.js, which is not provided by
> node-async itself.
>
> I'm not very familiar with the JS ecosystem, but it seems a package
> maintainer that would want to replace an embedded copy of async.js thus
> couldn't use the new package.
>
> Maybe we could just drop the recommendation altogether?
>
> Happy to make the change you propose if I'm wrong though.
>
> Cheers,

Hi Louis-Philippe,

Good question!  Presumably people would have hand-modified their code
to include a symlink to the file in /usr/share/javascript; the
equivalent file in node-async is /usr/share/nodejs/async/dist/async.js
which "should" do the same thing, so people "should" just have to
update their link (but no guarantees; I'm also not a JavaScript
expert!).

So either drop the recommendation altogether or point to node-async
(perhaps with softer wording than a recommendation?).

Best wishes,

   Julian