Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I'm echoing below all the things that I'm doing as I follow
your instructions. I'm hoping that this is aligned with your
MoM goal of improving a training path for new packagers.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Andreas Tille <andr...@an3as.eu> wrote:

> Well, for the actual packaging it might be sufficient to simply check
> out a part of the Debian Med SVN which concerns fis-gtm:
>
>   svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/fis-gtm
>
> However, it makes perfect sense to just get the whole tree
>
>   svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med

I got to checkout the repository by using:

     svn  co   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/

more on this below...

> > About section 4, my IRC id is :  luisibanez
>
> OK.  In what time zone are you living?

I'm in New York timezone.

Will send you email first if we ever need to do IRC.

My suggestion for your next steps would be the following.

>   1. Check out SVN (as described above and please make sure you use
>      svn+ssh - in case this will not work see the links for ssh tips
>      in our policy document)

Doing:

    svn co svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/

gave me:

     svn: Network connection closed unexpectedly

while, doing:

     svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/

(so, without ssh) actually did a normal checkout.

I'm guessing that for "svn+ssh" to work I should provide
my SSH public key to be placed somewhere in the server
side...   is that right ?

My search for the policy document led me to:

   http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

and also to installing the "debian-policy" package as:

        sudo apt-get install debian-policy

then to find the documents under

        /usr/share/doc/debian-policy

normal grepping there,
didn't return hits for "ssh" or "svn".

I'm probably missing something obvious here...

Could you please advise ?

  2. cd fis-gtm/fis-gtm-server/trunk

Yeap, did:

  cd   debian-med/trunk/packages
  cd   fis-gtm/fis-gtm-server/trunk

  3. make -f debian/rules get-orig-source
>         # this is the usual way to get the original source

Did:

           make -f debian/rules get-orig-source

Got:

uscan --force-download
make: uscan: Command not found
make: *** [get-orig-source] Error 127

Used apt-file to find that "uscan"
is in the "devscripts" package:

              sudo apt-file find uscan

then installed the "devscripts" package with:

            sudo apt-get install devscripts

rerun the command:

           make -f debian/rules get-orig-source

got happy response:

uscan --force-download
fis-gtm-server: Version (54002B) available on remote site:

http://qa.debian.org/watch/sf.php/fis-gtm/gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src.tar.gz
  (local version is 54002A)
fis-gtm-server: Successfully downloaded updated package
gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src.tar.gz
    and symlinked fis-gtm-server_54002B.orig.tar.gz to it

>   4. tar -xzf *.orig.tar.gz

The files turned out to be placed
one directory above "trunk" in:

      debian-med/trunk/packages/fis-gtm/fis-gtm-server

Doing "ls -l" at that level showed :

 fis-gtm-server_54002B.orig.tar.gz -> gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src.tar.gz
 gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src.tar.gz
 tags
 trunk

In this directory, then I did:

              tar -xzf *.orig.tar.gz

it went smoothly and produced:

COPYING
README
sr_i386
sr_linux
sr_port
sr_port_cm
sr_unix
sr_unix_cm
sr_unix_gnp
sr_unix_nsb
sr_x86_64
sr_x86_regs
tags
trunk

> Than you have two options:
>
>   A) Read the policy document how to use svn-buildpackage

Google led me to this document:
http://debianpaket.de/svn-buildpackage/index.html

(put this path on hold, since it
 requires concentrated reading..)

>   B) Simply
>        cp -a debian <source_directory>
>        cd <source_directory>
>        debuild
>
> We had some discusssions about automatisms (A) and doing things
> traditional (B).  I would not call myself very traditional but I'm
> leaving old rock solid pathes only if I see large advantages.  So
> finally I'm mostly doing B).

In path (B),

being in the directory

   debian-med/trunk/packages/fis-gtm/fis-gtm-server/trunk

did the commands:

    cp -a debian gtmsource
    cd gtmsource/
    debuild

and got back the message:

debuild: found debian/changelog for package fis-gtm-server in the directory
  /tmp/debian-med/trunk/packages/fis-gtm/fis-gtm-server/trunk
but this directory name does not match the package name according to the
regex  PACKAGE(-.+)?.

To run debuild on this package, see the --check-dirname-level and
--check-dirname-regex options; run debuild --help for more info.

Both should lead you to a Debian package.

not quite there yet...
but getting closer.

 Please test it if it really
> builds or report your problems here.

So to summarize:

1) I need to learn how to use "svn+ssh://..."

2) I need to read fully the policy document
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
    (do I got the right document ?)

3) I have to read the instructions on
            svn-buildpackage