Le Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:14:37AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:24:57AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > >   $ dpkg --compare-versions 2.0.0-beta6-1 gt 1:2.0.0 && echo $?
> > >
> > > There are people who do not like epochs - but this is the clean way.
> > indeed, I think that using an epoch is a bit too much at the moment.
>
> Could you please explain why you consider epoch as "a bit too much"?

Hi Andreas,

since 2.0.0-beta6-1 is lower than 2.0.0-beta7-1, it is not strictly required
to introduce an epoch at the moment, althouth of course you have given good
reasons to predict that we may have to do so when 2.0.0 is released.

> > For instance, we do not know how long 2.0.0 will last, as sometimes minor
> > corrections are released very shortly after a release, and packages with
> > version numbers like 2.0.1 would solve our problem.
> >
> > I would recommend to ignore the warning until 2.0.0 is released.
>
> In this case version 2.0.0-beta6 users will not notice the final
> release.  I fail to see your problem in using a technique which was
> invented exactly for this purpose.

When Upstream releases 2.0.0 we can package it as 1:2.0.0-1.  If, however,
2.0.1 is released before we have time to upload 1:2.0.0-1 or even realise that
2.0.0 is out, then we do not need an epoch anymore.  And I have experience of a
package, bedtools, which had three minor release within a day: basically by the
time I uploaded the package it was already outdated, twice in a row...

So I propose to postpone the addition of the eopch for the day where somebody
prepares thne next non-beta upload.

Cheers,

--
Charles