Hi Martin,

On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 11:59:02PM +0000, Uecker, Martin wrote:
> > Put simply, pristine-tar is our way to encapsulate access to the source
> > tarball used for packaging. Someone who checks out a d-science
> > repository does not need to know where the tarball comes from (github,
> > bitbucket, PyPI...), he or she can just check it out using pristine-tar
> > on the packaging repository.
>
> Ok, I created a tar ball using a git archive (which matches what
> github does) and then used pristine-tar to check it in.

I think this is a misunderstanding.  You should write a debian/watch file
(line 22 of this template

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/package_template/watch?revision=20511&view=markup
is your friend) and use the downloaded tarball when importing pristine-tar.

> gbp can also create tar balls from the same tag and check
> in ione step, but somehow the hash does not seem to match
> exactly (the content does). I wonder why...

You stumbled upon the very problem pristine-tar is solving:  Tarballs
simply have different checksums even if featuring identical content.
This is for instance due to different time stamps, user ids etc after
unpackaging on a target system.  Feel free to seek Debian lists for
several discussions explaining the problem.

> > Quick question, is the package supposed to install just the bart
> > executable and its accompanying documentation or something else in
> > addition ?
>
> I also want to add octave/matlab/python scripts. But I am not
> sure where to put them. I would be nice if there was a way to
> add them to the default search path for octave/matlab, for
> example.

You could add these in additional python-bart octave-bart binary
packages (sorry, matlab can not be provided as official Debian package).
You should read the according pages at wiki.debian.org where to put
Python modules (or you just check your local system where these are
stored) and Octave files (I never dealt with these but I guess there is
a wiki paga as well).  Feel free to ask me if you are struck in the
jungle of documentation and I'll provide more specific pointers.

Another remark to the packaging:  Currently there is a libgsl migration
ongoing and you should use libgsl-dev instead of libgsl0-dev.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de