Hi,

I'm a DD to be, waiting for the DAM to open my accounts. I want to adopt an
orphaned package called crafty, a chess game player. i rebuild a new package since
there's a new
upstream code.

The package installs opening books in /var/lib/crafty. Since the program also
"learns" how to play, it regularly updates these opening books. Although I
explicitely specified in debian/rules to change the permissions on those files
to rw-rw-rw, my files in debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty are still rw-r--r--.

I also noted all the files belong to me. Is it correct ? If I run
'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' as root, files belong to root, which looks
saner, but it doesn't ask for any GPG key.

What can I do ?

Attached is the contents of debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty and debian/rules

Thank you.

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
Rue J. Robie, 58/13

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

#!/usr/bin/make -f
# Sample debian/rules that uses debhelper.
# GNU copyright 1997 to 1999 by Joey Hess.

# Uncomment this to turn on verbose mode.
#export DH_VERBOSE=1

# This is the debhelper compatability version to use.
export DH_COMPAT=1

build: build-stamp
build-stamp:
        dh_testdir

        # Add here commands to compile the package.
        $(MAKE)
        #Build the openings books.
        echo "book create debian/books/medtosmall.txt 60" \
        | ./crafty
        echo "books create debian/books/start.pgn 60" \
        | ./crafty
        touch build-stamp

clean:
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        rm -f build-stamp
        rm -rf debian/tmp debian/files* core debian/substvars
        rm -f game* log* position* books.bin book.bin book.lrn
        # Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
        -$(MAKE) clean

        dh_clean

install: build
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean -k
        dh_installdirs
#       dh_installdirs etc usr/games var/cache/crafty usr/doc/crafty
usr/share/doc/crafty usr/share/man/man6

        # Add here commands to install the package into debian/tmp.
#       $(MAKE) install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp
        install -d debian/tmp
        cd debian/tmp && install -d `cat ../dirs`
        ln -sf ../man7/undocumented.7.gz \
        debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man6/crafty.6.gz
        ln -sf ./crafty.6.gz \
        debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man6/crafty.bin.6.gz
        install -s crafty debian/tmp/usr/games/crafty.bin
        cp crafty.wrapper debian/tmp/usr/games/crafty
        install -m666 books.bin debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
        install -m666 book.{bin,lrn} debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
        install -m666 position.{bin,lrn} debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
        cp debian/doc/crafty.{faq,doc} debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/crafty
        cp debian/doc/read.me debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/crafty
        install -m666 debian/crafty.rc debian/tmp/etc
        gzip -9 debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/crafty/read.me
#       chmod 666 debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty/book*
#       chmod 666 debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty/position*

# Build architecture-independent files here.
binary-indep: build install
# We have nothing to do by default.

# Build architecture-dependent files here.
binary-arch: build install
#       dh_testversion
        dh_testdir
#       dh_testroot
#       dh_installdebconf
        dh_installdocs
        dh_installexamples
        dh_installmenu
#       dh_installemacsen
#       dh_installpam
#       dh_installinit
#       dh_installcron
        dh_installmanpages
#       dh_installinfo
#       dh_undocumented
        dh_installchangelogs
        dh_link
        dh_strip
        dh_compress
        dh_fixperms

        # You may want to make some executables suid here.
#       dh_suidregister
#       dh_makeshlibs
        dh_installdeb
#       dh_perl
        dh_shlibdeps
        dh_gencontrol
        dh_md5sums
        dh_builddeb

binary: binary-indep binary-arch
.PHONY: build clean binary-indep binary-arch binary install

var_lib_crafty.dir