Abraham van der Merwe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've just upgraded one of my package's control files from 3.0.1 to 3.1.1 and
>now I can't get the damn thing to build correctly.
>
>The one problem I'm having is with the configuration file. I have the
>following in conffiles:
>
>------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------
>abz@oasis:/tmp/work/ixbiff-0.02b/debian$ cat conffiles
>/etc/ixbiff.conf
>------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------
>
>However, if I run debstd, I get the following:

One good question is "why are you still using debstd?" :)

>------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------
>abz@oasis:/tmp/work/ixbiff-0.02b$ debstd
>------------- debstd processing for GNU/Linux --------------
>-- Installing Documentation
>-- Looking for manpages in sourcepackage
>ixbiff.1 ixbiff.conf.5
>** Main Package ixbiff
>-- Adding /etc/init.d maintenance commands for ixbiff defaults 20
>Warning: Configuration file /etc/ixbiff.conf not provided in binary package!
>chown: debian/tmp/usr/share/doc: Operation not permitted
>chown: debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/ixbiff: Operation not permitted
>chown: debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/ixbiff/copyright: Operation not permitted
>chown: debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/ixbiff/changelog: Operation not permitted
>chown: debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/ixbiff/README: Operation not permitted
>chown: debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/ixbiff/TODO: Operation not permitted
>chown: debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/ixbiff/ixbiff.html: Operation not permitted

My guess is that you aren't running the binary target as root or faked
root, which you need to do. Try installing fakeroot and building the
package with dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot. As for the configuration
file, perhaps you're accidentally installing it into the real filesystem
as opposed to debian/tmp and never noticed because you always built as
real root before?

Incidentally, make sure that /etc/init.d/ixbiff is a conffile too.

>As you can see, it won't add ixbiff.conf as a configuration file. I can't
>figure out why it can either (the error messages really suck - can't you
>make it more verbose?)

debmake/debstd's development was frozen some time ago, so I doubt it.
Most people [1] who use a helper package these days use debhelper.

>Also, why is chown failing? What's it trying to chown the files to?

root, probably, who's supposed to own documentation files.

>The structure of my source tree is as follows:
[...]
>and the configuration file is in the src directory. So maybe it can't find
>it?

debstd doesn't actually physically copy the script into debian/tmp - you
need to do that yourself in debian/rules.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]