On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 23:19, Drew Parsons wrote:

> Why does policy ask us to strip binaries anyway?  Is it merely to reduce
> storage and bandwidth costs?

Right.  I think there will be a point in the future (probably 2-3 years
away at least though) though where we can just default to shipping
unstripped binaries, and have the user strip them on installation if
they want.

But to answer your specific question, I don't see it as a big deal if
you ship unstripped binaries in a package in unstable for a while.  I
think the important part is providing stripped binaries for sarge; so
just be sure to upload a stripped package before sarge releases.