Hi,

>Merging the Python 3 modifications into the Python 2 code would mean to make a
>lot of changes to the stable Python 2 code. There is a high likeliness that
>the >currently stable Python 2 code would not work correctly in some rare
>cases any more. So, it is better to leave the stable Python 2 package as is,
>and create a >separate Python 3 package -- as it is also done for a lot of
>other packages.

ok, but why a packaging so different from the Python2 version? you might want
to use the same packaging style, and minimize the delta.

e.g.  I can understand you copyright changes, and I like it, as well as compat
level and watch file, but rules seems more complicate, maybe PYBUILD
can help here?

G.