On 07/25/2016 09:28 PM, Albert van der Horst wrote:
> Christian Seiler schreef op 2016-07-25 18:14:
>> I don't quite get what you mean, I never had any problem with
>> that.
>
> {Probably going off topic here]
> A pure assembler file means full control over section names, their
> properties (in particular, readable, writable *and* executable) and
> where they are located. My compilation feature requires a stable
> layout for the ELF header.

Ah, ok, I didn't know you'd want that much control. Personally
I tend to rely on relocations and ld resolving stuff for me,
so I don't really care about the detailed ELF file layout, even
when using assembler. But if that doesn't fit your use case,
then yeah, GNU ld is probably not what you want.

> By the way write.s gives me  `` bad register name `%rax' ''

Well, then your gcc is probably not x86_64 by default. ;-)
Since assembler is different for every processor, I just took
the most obvious architecture I know.

Regards,
Christian