On 2016-11-21 at 07:56, Vincent Bernat wrote:

> ❦ 21 novembre 2016 23:39 +1100, Scott Leggett <sc...@sl.id.au> :

>> I'm open to accepting patches / co-maintainership from anyone who
>> wishes to test and use traditional init scripts with quagga. Given
>> the longevity of bugs like #678946, I'm not optimistic of such
>> patches materialising.
>>
>> I personally cannot test such init scripts since all my systems now
>> use systemd, and I can't in good faith include code that I can't
>> test and which has known bugs.

(That's an interesting usage; I would have used "good conscience". I'll
have to keep an eye out for this one.)

>> If there is another approach you think I could take here, please
>> advise...
>
> People who want other people to keep init scripts alive are asking
> to just leave them be, even if they are buggy. That's not something I
> agree with, so I am happy that you just removed them. But you could
> get some opposition.

My own position is roughly that init scripts should be left in place
unless the maintainer sincerely believes that they are not just buggy,
but so badly broken that either they provide no functionality at all, or
to have the functionality which they provide is _worse_ than to not have it.

In other words: do you, as the package maintainer, believe that a
reasonable person would prefer having no init-system functionality for
this package at all over having what these init scripts provide?

I'm not going to fight on this strongly, at least (and, in any case,
particularly) not for packages which I don't actively use myself, but I
think that's the baseline pro-retain-unmaintained-init-scripts position.

In the long run I may very well start looking at packages with
unmaintained init scripts (is there any straightforward way to readily
identify such?) with an eye towards improving them, but I don't
anticipate having the spare capacity for that any time soon.

--
   The Wanderer