Hello Nelson,

>Debian has pngnq at version 1.0 with the latest upstream version at 1.1
>The fork https://sf.net/projects/pngnqs9 is at version 2.0.2
>
>The best option seems, indeed, to offer the forked version (as
>https://bugs.debian.org/862077 also says)

usually a good starting point is to see what other distro did (e.g. Fedora,
Suse, Arch),
and discuss with old/new upstream.

Having a new package providing pngnq and conflicting / replacing it is feasible
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#virtual-packages

you can use update-alternative to let users choice their preferred
implementation.

Honestly I would start by updating pngnq to the latest version + patches, and
then
maybe pack the new one in experimental and ask for testing or whatever
(you can also pack it as patch on top of the non-fork version)

At the end, it should be up to you and your users (also debian-devel is
probably a good
place to ask "which version is better")

G.