Hi Samuel,

On 2019-02-26 18:27, Samuel Flores wrote:
> I would like some help packaging MacroMoleculeBuilder (MMB) for distribution
> in Debian or Ubuntu. It is a mature piece of code, used to publish many
> scientific articles in structural bioinformatics and structural and molecular
> biology. It has been downloaded thousands of times.

I would gladly help with the packaging of this modeling tool.

> I would be happy to change MMB's license to be compatible with this process.

You are absolutely right to start with the license check. Debian accepts
only those licenses that are compatible with Debian Free Software Guides
[1]. You can find (incomplete) list of DFSG-compatible licenses here [2].

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses

> MMB requires OpenMM, simbody, and SeqAn, I believe all of these are already
> packaged. It also requires SimTK molmodel which is not packaged -- I am the
> maintainer of molmodel and would like to package this as well. Molmodel is
> not hard to compile, but it does use cmake.

OpenMM and molmodel are not yet in Debian, AFAIK. Thus they have to be
packaged before the MMB. To start with, I would suggest reading the
introduction to packaging [3], as Andrey has advised.

[3] https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

Best wishes,
Andrius

--
Andrius Merkys
Vilnius University Institute of Biotechnology, SaulÄ—tekio al. 7, room V325