ok, maybe it is better to ask here because i'm still pretty confused by this
story about libtool and his damned parameter -rpath. any help appreciated.

follows a little explanation, extracted from ld manpage, of what this parameter
tells the linker to do: "Add a directory to the runtime library search path."
and again "The -rpath option is also used when locating shared objects which
are needed by shared objects explicitly included in the link".

the developer team of libtool made mandatory the use of this parameter, since
it was included automatically by libtool in every linker command line.

this approach had advantages and drawbacks (which i almost ignore) and in the
debian project has been chosen to not admit it. for this reason, until a couple
of months ago almost every, if not all, the binaries which worked with shared
libraries using libtool had to apply a workarond. lintian had (and still has)
a check against this kind of "malformation" in debian binaries and shared
libraries.

on september, and here i started losing the thread, Marcus Brinkmann posted a
message (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0009/msg00008.html) in
debian-devel-announce@lists.debian.org (now i understand why i didn't see it,
i'm not subscribed to this mailing list) in which he said to update to the new
release of libtool, which has many problem solved, -rpath problem included
(he didn't say that explicitly, but sombody told me).

lintian has been someway updated but it still reports the -rpath problem
(please, i need to understand which way lintian has been updated. it seems
always the same to me) but this time the workarond for -rpath is considered
obsolete (i reported the bug #78420 about a reference in the output of lintian
to this obsolete and now missing workaround file).

btw, Brinkmann said to user libtoolize -f to reconstruct some libtool in the
package in order to avoid problems (i have to use also the -c switch since
libtoolize make some symlinks that don't like to my debuid). after
recompilation, debuild runs lintian that *again* complain about -rpath.

please correct me in anywhere i'm wrong.

as i understood the solution is in what i wrote above but i don't see it.

what i am missing?

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
  --[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50