On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:25:38PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 10:33:20PM +0200, R?mi Perrot wrote:
> >
> > I read in the Debian policy that cgi script of web application must
> > go in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/cgi-bin-name and should be referred as
> > http://localhost/cgi-bin/cgi-bin-name (section 12.5).
> >
> > It look like that it is not allowed to have subdirectory under
> > /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
> > if I have well understanding the policy.
> > [...]
> > So is subdirectory is allowed under /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ ? And if no
> > do we need to amend the policy or report bug against packages
> > that violate the policy ?
>
> Although I don't recall this section of Policy and have no firsthand
> experience
> with this issue, I recall it being mentioned that it is OK and even
> recommended
> to make subdirectories in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ if you need a number of different
> scripts or if they have names that would conflict with other scripts. If
> Policy
> contradicts this, it should (in my opinion) be changed, since I don't think
> anyone intends it to do so.

I agree.  I've had cricket's CGI scripts in a subdirectory since the beginning.
Since they have generic names like 'grapher.cgi', it helps to show which
package they belong to.

IMO, any package which has more than one or two CGI scripts should do this
(*cough*, doc-central).  The one that really bugs me is viewcvs, which installs
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/query.cgi.  In fact, I think it deserves a wishlist bug.

--
 - mdz