Adam C Powell IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So, I think I want:
>
> Build-Depends: atlas-dev [!powerpc !m68k !sparc !hppa], lapack-dev
> [powerpc m68k sparc hppa]
>

> But I don't see the proper syntax for doing this properly. Is that
> correct as is above?

Yes.

> The potato packaging manual, section 8.1, has only exceptions for a
> single arch...

Well, this is old. If people building this on potato are your concern,
they shouldn't encounter any difficulties, because the potato tools
didn't check build-depends.

> At some point there will be atlas for all of these platforms, then
> these problems will go away, but I'm not certain this will happen in
> time for woody...

The following is allowed:

  Build-Depends: atlas-dev | lapack-dev

If autobuilders were guaranteed to always prefer the first
alternative, you wouldn't have to track where atlas is already built
and where not, and the best solution available would always be used. I
can't see this mandated anywhere, though.

It seems like buildd does prefer the first alternative, cf
<URL:http://buildd.armlinux.org/~buildd/fetch.php?pkg%3Darmagetron%26ver%3D0.1.4.3-4%26arch%3Darm%26stamp%3D982724364%26file%3Dlog%26as%3Draw>
But I guess it wouldn't do anything if a less optimal alternative were
already installed ...

--
Robbe