On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:25:07 +0100, Jeremie Koenig
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well, there already have been a lot of suggestions, but why do you need
>to create the file at install time ? Can't you just generate it in
>debian/rules, and include it in the package ?

Because I don't find that approach very elegant, and it is also error
prone. Imagine a local user diverting the file that I use for package
version indication. The information which version is installed is
already there, in the dpkg database. I only need to be able to access
it.

Greetings
Marc