       README\
       COPYING\
       AUTHORS\
       ChangeLog\
       INSTALL\
       NEWS

 EXTRA_DIST = \
               $(sysinfodoc_DATA)\

How should I advise upstream to fix this (and remove the files
from /usr/doc/sysinfo)?

Upstream should just be aware that noone has ever heard of $(prefix)/doc being used for anything, especially not the INSTALL file. :-)

For the package, I think it is best if you just remove the entire block and install README and NEWS by hand or via dh_installdocs and ChangeLog via dh_installchangelogs. COPYING, AUTHORS and INSTALL are not interesting, the former because debian/copyright already summarizes them, the latter because the package is already installed.

   Simon

   Simon