On (21/09/06 10:41), George Danchev wrote:
> On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:27, James Westby wrote:
> > > So that I can keep the ordering before the final upload.
> > > For example the version after I incorporate the changes you suggest
> > > will be 6.1.4-0pre4.
>
> Isn't `pre' meant to be replaced by the new wave (~) change proposed to the
> policy recently ?

It is possible to, and can make the version numbers a little saner.

> > It is fine to use the same version repeatedly when seeking a sponsor.
>
> Well, since having debian source package uploaded to mentors (or any other
> public site) is certaily like you have them gone in the wild; and there
> easily might be people who download the source package from there, build it
> themselves and install it, and they certainly what to have any new version
> either from these unofficial locations or from the debian official archive.
> So versioning is a good thing[tm] to keep all participants happy ;-)

The convention is, I believe, that an upload to mentors.debian.net does
not count as a release, as anyone who downloads a package from there
should realise it is a work in flux and handle that appropriately.

If people are not happy with that convention then we should all move to
this method.

I am not a sponsor, but my guess is that the list of things a sponsor
has to do is long enough, without having to re-version the package and
check that it follows through correctly.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Any sponsors?

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256