On Thu, 31 May 2007, Russ Allbery wrote:
> So you believe the four-clause BSD license violates the DFSG? It
> contains the clause:
>
> * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
> *    must display the following acknowledgement:
> *      This product includes software developed by the University of
> *      California, Berkeley and its contributors.

This specifically applies to advertising materials which mention
features or use of the software; it's not a generic requirement to
include "created using foo bar baz by blah" in every thing that uses
output of the program, which is a requirement to cite a paper amounts
to.

Furthermore, such a requirement is rather stupid, because almost every
case where it matters the authors paper will be cited anyway.

That said, I'm personally not enamored of this clause either, and
would not be averse to having all of it relicensed.

Don Armstrong

--
Herodotus says, "Very few things happen at the right time, and the
rest do not happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct