On 07/12/20 10:30 +0530, Kumar Appaiah said ...
> What I want to know is, earlier builds never pulled in atlas3-base-dev
> for the build, as you may see here:
>
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=libitpp&arch=i386&ver=4.0.0-3&stamp=1193598381&file=log&as=raw

This could just mean that atlas3-base-dev has been added to the
dependencies of a package that you build-depend on.

> Also, when I try to build the package on my machine outside a
> pbuilder, with the B-Deps installed, it works fine without atlas, and
> generates packages which don't depend explicitly on libatlas. However,
> the moment I try to use pbuilder on it, it fetches atlas3-base-dev for

Is your environment up-to-date?  Did you ensure that you have all the
latest packages (in particular, those that you build-depend on) from
unstable?  With pbuilder, you are using the latest.

> be pulled in. I do observe that lapack3-dev has the following
> dependencies:
>
> Depends: lapack3 (= 3.0.20000531a-6.1), libc6-dev, atlas3-base-dev |
> refblas3-dev | libblas-3.so, g77
>
> However, libitpp uses the following dependencies:
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), autotools-dev, doxygen (>= 1.5.1-1),
> refblas3-dev, libfftw3-dev, texlive-latex-base, gs, lapack3-dev
>
> Clearly, refblas3-dev is provided, so lapack3-dev shouldn't need
> atlas3-base-dev, right? What am I missing?

I would say that the order of resolving dependencies may be different
for different programs.  Consider this:

Option 1: You install refblas3-dev and then lapack3-dev, so
atlas3-base-dev is not brought in because refblas3-dev exists.

Option 2: The buildd gets the lapack3-dev and hence atlas3-base-dev
first and then it gets refblas3-dev.

But, when you build the package, if there is a check (maybe via the
configure script) for atlas3-base-dev and then for refblas3-dev, in
Option 1, refblas3-dev is used and in Option 2 atlas3-base-dev is used.

(I did not verify the above, but this is a possible explanation).

If you want to avoid the above, you should Build-Depends: lapack3-dev |
refblas3-dev.  You should be good with just a Build-Depends: lapack3-dev
but the "| refblas3-dev" helps backporters (if lapack3 doesn't depend on
refblas3-dev in its older versions).

Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/