Gilles Filippini wrote:

> My upstream has just included localized documentation in DocBook format.
>   I'm not sure how I should deal with this doc.
>
> According to [1], documentation should be in HTML and the XML DocBook
> format should stay in the source package.
>
> But looking for similar documentation, I've stumbled across some KDE
> packages - such as showimg - which provide only the DocBook file and no
> HTML.

Yes, but this solution requires some tools, that parse the XML files and
create e.g. HTML (by applying a XSLT stylesheet to the XML files). AFAIK
both KDE and GNOME ship such tools, but require to put the docs into
special directories and also sometimes require some registration of the
XML files.

> Which is the best option?

If you just want to provide documentation, then neither of these:

> a) provide only the DocBook files just like showimg does
> b) provide the DocBook files plus the generated HTML files

is a good choice. But this one is:

> c) provide only the generated HTML files and leave the DocBook files in
> the source package.

Build depend on

- xmlto (currently broken for PDF/PS/DVI output, but this will be fixed
  soon)

or alternatively (depending on the features the source needs):

- xsltproc, docbook-xsl

- java (gij), libsaxon-java(-gcj), docbook-xsl, docbook-xsl-saxon(-gcj)
  (enables the usage of some extensions, like line-numbering ... the
   docbook-xsl-saxon package ships a sample file that makes use of these
   extensions)

If you need some advice, please don't hesitate to ask. There is also some
related list: debian-sgml.

Regards, Daniel