I've been busy with other things elsewhere but some recent uploads from
mentors are confusing me and potentially giving the wrong impression to
those whom we mentor and sponsor, IMHO.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/03/msg00002.html

> I hope to see you all there fixing bugs and want to remind you that
> there is still a 0-day NMU (Non-Maintainer Upload) policy active: RC
> (Release Critical) bugs and Release Goal bugs that are at least 7 days
> old without maintainer reaction can be NMUed without delay. Please do
> test your patches, only fix bugs that are already filed to the BTS (Bug
> Tracking System) when you NMU, send your NMU patch to the BTS and be
> nice to the maintainer of the package you NMU.

Note:
"only fix bugs that are already filed to the BTS"

The rest of the normal NMU rules still apply:

http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-nmu

e.g.

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 12:34 -0500, Kevin Coyner wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:46:15AM -0500, Barry deFreese wrote......
>
> > Here is another one of my fairly intrusive NMUs.  It fixes RC bug:
> > #466143 as well as standards and lintian cleanup.
> >
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rcalc/rcalc_0.5.0-1.3.dsc

> Barry
>
> Looks good except for two things:
>
>     1. Lots of unneeded whitespace in debian/copyright. Could be
>     removed and also removal of comment-out lines in debian/rules.
>
>     2. Perhaps it would be better to have all of the source code
>     changes done through dpatch or quilt. I know this is an NMU and
>     being unobtrusive is important, but there are quite a few
>     upstream source code changes which I think would be better off
>     in a patch system.
>
> I'd be willing to upload once these are addressed.

So why are we doing this now? This is an NMU - minimal changes scenario.

Barry is not the maintainer for this NMU, why are the rules being
ignored on mentors?

--

Neil Williams