Howdy all,

Policy §4.4, "Debian changelog", details the expected changelog format
<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog>.
It defines entries in the following form:

=====
package (version) distribution(s); urgency=urgency
            [optional blank line(s), stripped]
  * change details
    more change details
        [blank line(s), included in output of dpkg-parsechangelog]
  * even more change details
      [optional blank line(s), stripped]
 -- maintainer name <email address>[two spaces]  date
=====

In recent years I've seen entries in 'debian/changelog' that are
broken up into "sections" by developer name. I'm referring to entries
like this:

=====
package (version) distribution(s); urgency=urgency

  [ name of one developer ]
  * change details
    more change details
        [blank line(s), included in output of dpkg-parsechangelog]
  * even more change details
      [optional blank line(s), stripped]

  [ name of another developer ]
  * change details
    more change details
        [blank line(s), included in output of dpkg-parsechangelog]
  * even more change details
      [optional blank line(s), stripped]

 -- maintainer name <email address>[two spaces]  date
=====

The Policy section above is silent on this extension to the format,
though I've seen Joey Hess discussing it in the past. I also know that
'debchange' can produce it, and 'dpkg' can consume it.

Is it defined anywhere, such that I can produce it myself, or tell by
visual inspection whether entries conform to it or not?

--
 \      “[T]he question of whether machines can think [...] is about |
  `\    as relevant as the question of whether submarines can swim.” |