On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 02:37:25PM +0200, Matteo Vescovi wrote:
> > Also, if this is your first package, it may be a good idea to fix bugs
> > in the current package (ie prepare 0.99.14-4), rather than preparing a
> > new upstream version.
>
> Should I? :-P I'm not so sure I could help solving bugs... but I've
> never tried ;-)

If you intend to maintain this package, it will be your duty.

> >> Obviously, I decided to use quilt to patch the original source code and
> >> modified the files in "debian" dir for that.
> >> Build Dependencies have been tested in cowbuilder/pbuilder environment
> >> and they're ok (or think so).
> >
> > As you use the "3.0 (quilt)" format, you don't need to include quilt
> > in your build-deps. This was needed before 3.0, when packages used
> > quilt explicitly. In debian/rules, you should get rid of --with quilt
> > too.
>
> Before writing my "call for help", I tried to omit the quilt dependency
> and the "--with quilt" option for debhelper but debuild didn't work in
> the pbuilder environment, asking for it. And it seems the way to have
> the source back unpatched, once I want to clean it (insted of doing it
> manually via "quilt (or dquilt) pop -a".
>
> Tried now... it works even without ;-) That's weird! :-(

Probably leftovers in your directory ?

> >   - the Vcs-* fields should point to where the packaging is done, not
> >     to the upstream VCS.
>
> OK, so I should wait to see the buildd environment, I guess... or am I
> wrong?

Not necessarily. The source package can be hosted in a VCS (for
example, alioth), built on your machine, then the source+binary
package get uploaded on the archive. What happens there is not
relevant (as a sponsoree, you will only upload source packages to
mentors).

> > As for the dh_shlibdeps problem : it complains about a missing
> > libgtkpod (note : different from libgpod). I believe that it is
> > because you don't install it (you took gtkpod.install directly from
> > gtkpod_0.99.14).
>
> I was wondering if it'd have a sense to split the libgtkpod from the
> gtkpod package. Could that help?

If other packages need it, this could be useful, but if not packaging
will be easier with only one binary package. Try to figure why
upstream installs a dynamic library, maybe it's a plugin system or
something like that.

--
Etienne Millon