Bart Martens <ba...@debian.org> writes:

> The file time-1.7/time.c contains this:
> "Originally written by David Keppel <pa...@cs.washington.edu>."

> So David Keppel is an "original author" as meant in debian-policy.

> It is a mystery to me why you interpret debian-policy that in this case
> the Free Software Foundation would be the original author.

Yes, I've noticed.  :)

Anyway, I think I've used all the words that I have to try to explain it,
and Bob is happy to add the Comment section, so the whole point is moot
anyway.  Contrary to the poor way I've stumbled through this conversation,
I don't actually want to fight about it!  Bob just seemed a bit baffled by
the comment, and I also felt baffled, which is why I jumped in (also
because I also am very interested in getting the updated package in
Debian).  I'm much less baffled now.

You're correct that we have a place to debate revisions of debian-policy
and it's not here, and I get involved in few enough sponsorship requests
that it's unlikely our disagreement will matter again until we've
hopefully resolved what the heck Policy is actually supposed to mean.

> Then I guess it is OK to use the Comment section for David Keppel.

Absolutely.

And I'm sorry for my tone in some of my earlier messages.  I had a really
obnoxious week and didn't do a very good job of keeping that out of my
tone.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>