Hello,

Adding the TilEm maintainer to the Cc list, I'm not knowledgeable to
give the appropriate insight on the licensing exception for TilEm.

> > The change from libticonv3 to libticonv6 would break the packages
> > currently depending on libticonv3.
> This really can't be helped - the library versions change the name
> itself.
Yup. The intended effect of bumping the version number this way is to
force a new DLL name on Windows. Doing so can make it easier to spot
version mismatches or misuses of the libraries (say, users copying the
DLL into the same directory as the main application, instead of relying
on the shared DLLs).

> > The file debian/copyright is incomplete.  There are other copyright
> > holders than only Romain LIEVIN and also other years than 2007.
> Hm, I thought I have updated the debian/copyright with everyone...
> maybe I didn't upload the latest?
> (I used a script to try and fetch names from the source so I can
> write in the appropriate credits.)
> I understand that copyrights are important, but even upstream has
> mentioned that tracking down everyone is nothing short but
> impossible, and that he'd prefer to see an update in the repos for
> the next release, and work on the copyright info later. (CC'd so
> that upstream can clarify the situation.)
The libti*/gfm/tilp code base started in 1999, and I've been the
maintainer since 2009.
In my time as the maintainer, I've tried to track contributions into the
SVN/Git commit logs; however, in the earlier commit history (4000+
commits), I cannot pretend that authorship has been thoroughly tracked
throughout the years.
Copyright information (theoretically) embedded in comments at the top of
each source file (in dozens of source files) has been unmaintained since
long before my time as the maintainer. It's a fact that I have not made,
in the past 3 years, any attempts to straighten the copyright
information embedded in source files; I'm open to integrating patches to
that effect.

> > I read in the file README "A special exception applies when linking
> > the library into TilEm, see the COPYING file for details." but I
> > don't find such exception in the COPYING file (it's identical to
> > /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2) nor in debian/copyright.
> > Please ask upstream for clarification.
> CC'ed. Resolution to this problem will fix #686635.
Well, said exception was created years before my time as the maintainer...
I _think_ that this exception is obsolete nowadays, as TilEm 2.0 is
completely free software. TilEm 0.x used a component with a non-free
license, but it has been replaced with free software for the TilEm 2.0
release, produced this year, which Albert is attempting to package for
Debian as well.
Benjamin ?

Regards,
Lionel.