Dear mentors/sponsors,

It's been a while now (some years actually) that I'm using free
software, and in the process I ended up in Debian (for some good
reasons, including the policy).

One of the things I like is "standards", and Debian is for sure a
source of standards for all linux distributions and also other OS's.

After some time programming my own softwares to solve little problems,
scientific problems, and some useful exercises to teach C, I decided
it's time to do another step. I am ready to help a little more,
starting with packaging one little guy I have here.

I'll be very slow in this process, so I need a patient mentor, who
speaks english better than me, to point out some problems, and maybe
take a look at the documentation I provide. Also, and this is
important to me, I would very like to find a mentor who are found of C
language and its tricks, to get tips on deprecated functions,
standards, directories of installation, and alike. My programs tend to
use also lex and yacc from time to time.

I would need help to find useful links, to learn who things is done
the Debian way (in a lot of ways, since bash script, passing through
C, shared libraries, upload tools -- like CVS or something new that is
more used today, and so on). As I do have some pupils myself (I'm a
teacher), I consider my obligation to learn very well, the correct
way, once (because nobody has that much of free time to spend learning
the wrong way to then need to relearn another), and that is because
what I learn I will pass on to my students. So that is more
responsibility on me.

My first attempt will be a C library, I call "libeco.h", with lots of
useful C functions that help my students to program. Some of the
functions are more in the math area, others play music, most of them
are just input/output helpers and wrappers (some may help to import
old code from other OS, matching names from other libraries linux
don't have). There is one particular function very nice that can read
a mathematical expression and return the value to the caller (as
simple as writing double e=geteval(), and you can read sin, cos, ln,
and a lot of things, made with help of lex/yacc).

The library is ready (the C code), but still I need to add comments to
some of the functions, with examples.

As for myself, I'm funny, friendly, easygoing. I like to write thanks
and please a lot, and I enjoy to read it also. But I do love sarcasm,
and I think there is no topic jokes can't be done (none at all,
including that one you just thought and now you are thinking twice in
become my mentor).

Also, I have a job that takes a lot of my time, and I'll be doing the
stuff I learn with my mentor for a long time, slowly but surely.

If you find yourself qualified for the job, be welcome. Just remember,
I wont pay you a penny. And after you started, you can't quit.

Thanks any answer.

Beco.

PS. My second attempt package, maybe next year, would be a chess
program. And also a "kind of new" computer language to teach
algorithm. Not sure the order. But keep that in mind, so you may like
your new job longer.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." (H. Jackson Brown Jr.)