Hi Ole,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:07:31AM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Andreas Tille <andr...@an3as.eu> writes:
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 01:31:40PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >>
> >> And, the question remains: how do I effectively shall maintain such a
> >> package without burding a heavy load to my sponsor and possibly to other
> >> people (porters)? I am willing to do my job here, but I see myself quite
> >> slowed down by the combination of some very ineffective procedures ...
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#non-free-buildd
> >
> > Hope this helps
>
> The problem here is, that wcslib-contrib cannot be built automatically
> by buildd since the buildd (for contrib packages) does not install
> non-free packages (which is pgplot5 in my case). My question here is
> whether the non-free buildd would do so (which is what I interpret from
> [1]) -- if yes, I'd like to know why a similar procedure cannot be
> switched on for contrib packages build-require non-free.

When I gave my hint I surely assumed that non-free-buildd would work for
contrib as well (anything else would make no sense to me).

> The hell goes on here even further: Since I am non a DD yet, I have to
> ask for access to porter boxes every time I want to rebuild the
> packages, so that I even can't automatize the build process on ports
> myself, which involves always have a dozen people to decide whether I
> should gain access. Even if I would get access and could build the
> packages, I could not upload them myself. Although I got DM rights
> (thanks to Steffen), I am not allowed to do binary-only uploads for
> whatever reason. And as I understood Jakub Wilk [2], he can (or shall)
> not use packages I that I built before to just upload them.

I stick to my very *personal* rule:  Either a package is auto-buildable
on different architectures or it exists only on the architecture I'm
building on.  I consider my spare time to valuable to hunt behind
non-free software.

> So, all I can do here is to put all the load to Steffen or another
> DD willing to do the job, and to repeat this every time the package
> changes. This sound for me like an abuse of the sponsoring process,

I agree to the latter (see above) :-)

> which originally was designed to help newbies getting knowledge about
> the Debian procedures.
>
> And this all since contrib packages with non-free dependencies cannot be
> built automatically "at the moment" [3] since two years.

Uhmmmm. :-(

> I am just looking for a solution for this problem...

[3] was new to me and I do not see any sensible solution since I'm even
to lazy to understand the underlying problem.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de