Am Samstag, den 28.02.2015, 18:05 +0100 schrieb Niels Thykier:
> On 2015-02-28 16:37, Daniel Stender wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've got the official Python logo image [1] here in a package.
> >
> > 1) what would be the proper license for that file in deb/copyright?
> >
> > 2) what's the best place in Debian to ask copyright/licensing related
> > questions like this in the future, the developer's list?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Daniel Stender
> >
> > [1]
> > https://www.python.org/static/community_logos/python-logo-master-v3-TM.png
> >

> Hi Daniel,
>
> 1) The python logo is subject to the PSF Trademark Usage Policy[1][2].
>  At a quick glance, it looks like it is distributable, but I doubt it
> complies with the DFSG.
>
> 2) If it is about whether a license is DFSG, you probably want either
> debian-le...@lists.debian.org or debian-mentors.  I suspect that
> debian-mentors is faster when it is "trivial" to determine whether
> something is DFSG-compliant, but you may be punted to debian-legal or
> the FTP masters for sufficiently obscure licenses.
>
> Hope that answers your questions,
> ~Niels
>
> [1] https://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/
>
> [2] https://www.python.org/community/logos/

The logo seems to be non-free, there are strong rules in the tradmark
policy concerning commercial uses, for example: "Commercial uses (which
includes any use where you sell these items for money) require
permission from PSF".
Also, there are restrictions on derived work, like on the logo page
under "Guidelines for Usage":
"However, please ask first when using a derived version of the logo
(...)"

my 2cent... IANAL.

-- tobi