Hello Tiago,

> Although you did suggested a pretty detailed version string, this is
> really needed at all?
>
> [...]
>
> If you need to invent a version string, use the YYYYMMDD format
> such as 20110429 as upstream version.
[...]
> This approach is simpler, work as intended and is documented on one
> of our official guidelines for packaging.

Since git is a distributed VCS, a given date might not be sufficient to
get the exact version, because some developer might edit the source off
-line, and push changes on a later date to the remote repo, but the
commits will carry the date when developer committed the changes to her
local repo.

Therefore, adding the commit sha is the only way to be sure that you
correctly reference the source tree used to create a package. And
adding a "git" somewhere in the version string makes sure that one
knows how to interpret the version string properly :)

Best,
Gert