On Thursday 08 January 2009 01:12:28 Mike Furr wrote:
> Hi d-o-m,
>
> Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> > Has someone any news from Mike Furr? The last mail from him on a
> > Debian mailing-list dates back to Feb. 2008 with a signature
> > suggesting that he was lacking time for Debian². Note that the
> > Maintainer field of omake is set to "Mike Furr", and not the
> > mailing-list, so that we don't receive directly any bug report
> > related to it.
>
> Packaging wise, I really haven't done much in quite a while.  I usually
> check d-o-m a couple of times a month to see how things are going, but
> most of my packages haven't needed an update in quite some time either.
>   Thanks to Stefano for pinging me on this discussion.
>
> > Moreover, I don't understand why there is an additional -3 in the
> > version number.
>
> The upstream release number includes a -N, so the full debian version
> has a -N-M postfix.
>
> > BTW, there is also a new upstream version (but it is probably not the
> >  right time to import it...).
>
> No, the 0.9.9 is only a pre-release, it is not intended to replace
> 0.9.8.5 at this point.
>
> As far as ocamldep-omake is concerned, that version of ocamldep was
> introduced by the omake developers a long time ago to get around
> fundamental limitations in the tool.  It was meant to be somewhat
> temporary, but getting patches accepted upstream into OCaml is not
> always easy (especially for new features), so it persisted for a couple
> of versions before it was accepted upstream.  Since it was included for
> a significant period of time, I decided to leave it in the package until
> the next major point release of omake (which, unexpectedly, has yet to
> happen) even after it was deprecated, as users of omake may have
> referenced it in their build scripts (I know I had to at one point).
> Stripping the header line was obviously a dumb idea... I don't recall
> why I decided to do that.
>
> So, at this point I would suggest one of the following fixes:
>
> 1) Remove ocamldep-omake from the package since it is not used by omake
> itself.  This may impact users who otherwise invoke it themselves (for
> historical reasons).
>
> 2) Put the header line back and update OCaml.om to call it correctly.
> If it is in violation of policy to not ship the entire source code of
> the bytecode (instead of the patch as is done currently), then also add
> the necessary source files.  I haven't looked at policy in a while, nor
> have I been following the debates about binary blobs in source packages,
> so I trust the opinions of others on this subject.
>
> I would recommend #2 since we are so close to releasing Lenny, and
> certainly removing the file once it is released.  I think removing the
> entire package from Lenny would be a shame since a lot of people use it
> (myself included!).

I strongly believe that removing 0.9.8.5-3-3 from both lenny and sid is the
way to go, since such a insane package as have been put together should have
never been uploaded to the archive in the first place [1]. Then prepare a new
and fixed package (sane orig.tar.gz included), upload it to sid and ask
release team if they can tolerate such a unblock for lenny at that stage. If
they can't, well that is not their fault. There is no excuse for deliberately
uploading such a compromised orig.tar.gz to the archive and then insist on it
being released with lenny for whatever reasons. I personally see this as a
dextrous way to deceive and bypass the established procedures.

[1] Similar wording in connection with another package has been expressed by
Julien Cristau on #debian-devel... and I do agree with this, gladly.