Le Thursday 08 January 2009 16:59:08 Florent Monnier, vous avez écrit :
> Second the idea (when I saw it was possible for mandriva) is that the
> author of a software should be able to provide packages for all the main
> Linux distros (not only 1 or 2), and it would be nice if this could be made
> easy.

Provided that you can test the package.

Packaging is not only about preparing the package, but also maintaining it.
You can be a maintainer without using the distro, but if you do not use it and
don't follow its developpements, it quickly turns into a poorest situation,
where your package is broken and leads to a bad reputation for the software
that it provides.

Ususally, packaging follows naturally the need for a given software, and I
feel natural that it is not done by its author if he does not use the distro
himself.

Romain