On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 11:52:59AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > >
> > > No, we just need some common sense, common courtesy (which none of us
> > > seem to be so good at ;), some good relaxation techniques and some
> > > good interpersonal skills.
> >
> > My experience says this is not enough.
>
> Please don't take this as offence, but I think your experiences with that
> are quite extreme.
>
> We have processed 38000 bug reports by now, and the number of problems with
> people disagreeing about closing and processing bugs I can recall in the
> last two years can be counted on one hand. Let's say 38, which is too much
> already. That would make 38/38000 = 1/1000 = 0.1%.

I think this is better viewed in absolute terms.

38 reopening-reclosing flamewars in the BTS are too much.
Very often is the *reopening* of a bug what makes the maintainer to be
upset, not the fact that the submitter disagrees.

> Let's try to focus on the real problems. Social complications are seldom
> solved by oppression.

Well, if we had some sort of policy (or even recommendation) to just avoid
(or try to avoid) the extreme cases (without reaching to "oppression"),
would things be worse than now?

Thanks.

--
 "de577e18cbf7f78e5b20bc55e95327a4" (a truly random sig)